The recipe for this delicious Sponge cake is from Amelia, age 10.
8oz butter or margarine
8oz caster sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
8oz self-raising flour
3 tablespoons of icing sugar (optional)
Strawberries (sliced), raspberries & blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- Grease and line a square-shaped tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Turn the mixture into your greased tin. Smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. To check that your cake is cooked, insert a skewer and it should come out clean.
- Turn your cake out of the tin and let it cool.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk up the cream. Add the icing sugar (if you would like to sweeten it up!) and mix again.
- Cover the top of your cake with the cream.
- Create a cross using your strawberries.
- Make a diagonal cross using raspberries.
- Create triangles using blueberries, making sure to leave white spaces as shown on the Union Jack below.